Friday, August 10, 2012

Paying It Forward


(August 10, 2012) - The story of this week’s Billy Johnson Community hero is all about “Paying it Forward.” Our hero Cory Russell, a 28-year-old resident of Pikeville, did just that. A few weeks ago, the morning after his wedding, Russell overheard an elderly gentleman asking the clerk in Pikeville’s Hampton Inn for a phone book. The gentlman was trying to find an old Navy buddy he hadn’t seen since 1960. What Cory Russell did next is what makes him this week’s Billy Johnson Community Hero.
       “He [the elderly gentleman] was talking to the people in the front lobby and he was saying, ‘You know, I’m getting old and I want to find my long lost buddy and I haven’t seen him in 40 years.’ And I heard him mention his name and I said, ‘Well heck, I know the guy’s name. Come over here and see if we can’t find him.’ And so I just told him, ‘Tell you what, by no means do you have to do this, but if you can take me to my truck, I’ll take you to the guy’s front door.’ So he’s like ‘You don’t have to do that,’ and I said, ‘Look seriously, I want you to get up with this guy. I don’t want to leave here until you get to talk to him. I mean, you came all the way up to Pikeville to find him and we’re going to make it happen.’ And so I just drove him all the way to that guy’s front door.”
        Before Cory left, he shared with the two men that his good deed had already been paid forward: by the manager of the Hampton Inn.
       “Yeah, they [the elderly couple] were like, ‘Do we owe anything?’ and I was like, ‘Absolutely not, but I need to tell you before I leave that the Hampton Inn had just called and said for my generosity helping you out they comped our hotel room.’”
       We asked Cory why he did what he did that morning. He said that people have helped him all his life, and he felt it was only right for him to help someone else.
       “You know, look how many things that people have done for me. If you get an opportunity, don’t let it slide by. Pay it forward and one day, maybe I’ll need somebody’s help and hopefully I’ll be fortunate enough for someone to step up and be willing to help a hand."
       Congratulations to Cory Russell, this week’s Billy Johnson Community Hero.   

No comments:

Post a Comment